Thursday, May 31, 2007

Scariest Candidate Contest

So far, the winner is clear. Mitt Romney. Here are the reasons in no particular order.

1. He's a Mormon.
As an agnostic/atheist/existentialist myself, I have a hard enough time with religion mixing in with politics at all. But I realize that a lot, if not most, Americans like their president to believe in God. Ok, fair enough. I find the Shrub's brand of fire and brimstone faith to be overbearing. But Mormonism is a whole different ball game. Now, don't get me wrong. I've had a few Mormon friends here and there, and they are really (really really) nice people. But I have to draw the line somewhere. Mormon's believe that they become demi-gods of alien planets if they are good in this life. I'm not sure where exactly my line is, but I do know that this is across that line.

2. His favorite book is "Battlefield Earth"
This is disturbing for two reasons, actually. First, it was written by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. While Romney has said he doesn't condone Scientology, which is, of course, perhaps the MOST wacky religion on the fringes of the mainstream, a Mormon saying that a book written by the founder of Scientology is his favorite equals DOUBLE CRAZY.
This is also disturbing because it is a horrible novel. Plain and simple. But maybe it was better than the movie. Why not the Book of Mormon? At least that sounds like interesting and well-written fiction.
And at least Romney reads something other than the Bible.

3. His feelings on Guantanamo
When asked about terrorism, he said that we ought to "Double Guantanamo" where the detainees aren't on "our soil" and don't have "access to lawyers." I don't even know how to argue with this statement.

I would be willing to overlook or change my mind about the first two (ok maybe just the Mormon thing, I mean Battlefield Earth? How about...I don't know...anything else?). I do not understand how someone trained in our system of law can actually believe that the accused should be denied counsel and held without charge.

Not that I'm going to vote for a Republican anyway, but I'm just saying....

No comments: