Thursday, February 05, 2009

California Supreme Court To Hear Oral Argument on Prop 8 Challenge

The Supreme Court has announced that an oral argument will be held in the Prop. 8 cases on Thursday, March 5, 2009, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. That is a long time. Still, I'm not sure how they're going to decide who will get to argue since about a kabillion amicus briefs have been filed. I guess the fact that they are going to have oral argument should give some hope to the petitioners (as opposed to just deciding it on the [ample] papers). Should be interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting! A bunch of people were talking about it in class this morning...I think a couple student orgs are already planning to host "viewing parties" when it airs on the cal channel.

Oh, courriel. That was a source of great contention between me and my professor in undergrad. While I was in France (last spring) I heard both used. Courriel is the "official" word from l'academie francaise and official entities can't use anything else. I used that when I was writing something semi-official. However, "on the street" we all just said "e-mail" or "un mail"..."envoie-moi un mail". None of my actually french profs ever said courriel (My grammar prof refused to say it because it was d'origine Quebecois...but he's a snob)
There might be a distinction between "a l'orale" and "a l'ecrit". I think at the source it is that people are used to saying mail and don't like to change.

That's just my perception though.